Can vegans eat rye bread? – Yes, vegans can enjoy rye bread. To be more specific, rye bread is made of water, yeast, rye flour, grains, and cracked rye seeds, all vegan-friendly.
Although there are many different types of rye bread, most cater to the vegan diet. Before purchasing the product, always check the labels to see its ingredients.
Otherwise, you can make your own rye bread with our recipe below. Scroll down!
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Rye Bread?
#1. Reduced Cholesterol, Strengthened Gut, and Healthier Heart
Apart from its versatility with a range of drinks and foods, rye bread offers many health benefits. It is rich in fiber, reducing cholesterol in the body and strengthening the gut by feeding good bacteria.
Also, Rye bread contains iron and magnesium that reduce blood pressure and assists a healthy heart.
#2. Improved Immune System
What’s more, zinc in rye bread can improve your immune system.
This is especially needed in today’s context of a global pandemic and for vegans who often lack the needed boost from other food components.
#3. Maintain Blood Sugar Levels
Rye bread is also preferred among people with diabetes because it is believed to help reduce blood sugar while still delivering the necessary nutrients and energy.
How To Make Vegan Rye Bread At Home?
Now, we shall start to make our own vegan rye bread? Let’s prepare all the necessary ingredients:
- Warm Water
- Dark Rye Flour
- Caraway Seeds
- Olive Oil
Then, follow these steps:
- Mix warm water and yeast in a bowl and wait for the yeast to activate
- Mix sugar, molasses, and caraway seeds in another bowl
- Stir the mixture until they are evenly combined
- Mix the mixture from the above step with the mixture from the first step
- Whisk and stir them in the same direction for roughly 1 minute, then change to the opposite direction and repeat the whisking and stirring in 1 minute.
- Press the dough from the above step into a ball and coat it with olive oil.
- Leave the dough in the bowl but cover it with a plastic bag.
- Let it sit and rise in a warm place for roughly 1.5 hours. Or you can leave it to sit in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.
- Release gas from the dough in the bowl, then leave it there a bit more.
- Until it is doubled in size, transfer it into a loaf pan that is lightly oiled to shape it under a plastic covering.
- Preheat your oven at 191 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Then, move it into the oven to be baked at 82 to 88 degrees Celsius. Remember to turn the cake side occasionally.
- To complete, transfer it from the oven and leave it to cool completely. You can cut it into slices to enjoy.
Just 12 steps, and you get your own tasty vegan rye bread!
How To Enjoy Vegan Rye Bread?
One of the best things about vegan rye bread is that you can enjoy it in many ways. Here are the two most common ways that you can eat rye bread:
- Make sandwiches (Your fillings can be vegan or non-vegan.)
- Make bread crumbs (Sprinkle them like toppings over salads!)
You can easily freeze and store vegan rye bread away for three months! Or you can keep it in a zippy bag at normal room temperature for a few days.
You now got a satisfactory answer to the question, “Can vegans eat rye bread?” and you can even make your own rye bread at home. How wonderful is it?
Besides its nutrient-richness, this type of bread is also easy to store and combine with many foods! If you have any other experience and opinions about rye bread, leave the comments below to share with us!